Staff reacted quickly when high levels of carbon monoxide (CO) were detected at the Jubilee Lodge long-term care facility in Kinistino on Thursday morning.
At about 5:30 a.m., CO alarms were activated at Jubilee Lodge when negative air flow started to cause a boiler to back draft.
Staff quickly opened all doors and windows and shut off the fuel supply. The CO alarms did not reach levels high enough in resident areas to activate.
SaskEnergy was called in and were quickly able to bring CO levels back to zero parts per million.
Prince Albert Parkland Health Region’s maintenance and emergency preparedness staff, with the help of SaskEnergy, did an investigation to find why the alarm was activated.
Work has been done to immediately prevent this in the future and evaluation of the preventative measures is ongoing.
“We appreciate the very quick response by our employees to prevent anyone from being harmed by the elevated carbon monoxide levels,” Carol Gregoryk, vice-president of Integrated Health Services, said in a statement.
“Without these monitors the situation would have been far more serious.”
According to Gregoryk, all family members were informed of the situation. Anyone with questions are encouraged to contact the Jubilee Lodge.