Careless smoking was the cause of a fire that destroyed a condo building in Regina’s east end late Sunday night.
Regina Fire & Protective Services were called to the building in the area of 7th Avenue East and Wadey Drive around 11:30 p.m. By the time fire crews arrived, flames could be seen coming though the roof.
No one was hurt in the blaze. Deputy chief Lane Jackson says only two units of the three-unit building were occupied and everyone managed to get out safely. As a precaution, crews also evacuated the condos to the north and south.
“We were able to keep it from spreading to others,” Jackson said, adding that the main building was completely destroyed.
— Janelle (@spaztazmo) March 21, 2016
Jackson said the people who lived in the building reported that the fire seemed to start at the back of the condo where the deck was.
Crews were on scene through most of the night. SaskEnergy was called to help dig up the natural gas line to turn it off.