The Regina Pats avoided a near disaster to start the game and came away with a win and a leg up in their first round series against Lethbridge.
The Pats got an early five-minute power play but were nearly down 2-0 after giving up a short handed goal, then a breakaway as the penalty expired.
Down just 1-0 after the first period, the Pats started to dictate the play in the second but waited until late in the period when Cole Sanford fired home the tying goal on a five-on-three power play.
The Pats carried the momentum over to the third period as Sanford, Adam Brooks and Sam Steel teamed up on another power play with a beautiful passing play that ended with Steel with half an open net to in the go ahead goal.
Less than four minutes later, after another Lethbridge penalty, Rykr Cole got his first of the playoffs tipping in another dandy Brooks pass.
That was the eventual game winner as the Hurricanes made a late charge, bringing the lead to within one on a late power play goal and nearly tied the game with their net empty with under a minute left.
The Pats will try to push the Hurricanes to the brink of elimination on Wednesday night at the Brandt Centre. The puck drop is 7 p.m.
- Adam Brooks – Another three point night for the league’s leading scorer as he assisted on all three Pats’ goals.
- Tyler Brown – Brown was the busier of the two goaltenders and turned aside 30 shots for his second career playoff win.
- Ben Duperreault – The Lethbridge forward made a nice play that led to the Hurricanes short handed goal to start the scoring.
WHL Playoff Round-up
- The Moose Jaw Warriors took a 3-1 series lead over Prince Albert with a 7-0 win on Tuesday.
- Everett has a 3-0 series lead over Portland after a 5-3 Game Three win
- Spokane’s 5-2 win over Victoria moves that series to 2-1 in favour of the Royals.
- Seattle took a 3-0 series lead after a 5-0 win over Prince George.
- The Kelowna Rockets now have a 2-1 series lead over Kamloops following a 1-0 win, Tuesday.