A number of prisoners at Saskatchewan Penitentiary in Prince Albert
are serving time at other facilities while the investigation and clean up continues following last week’s deadly riot that left parts of the prison unhabitable.
“There have been a number transfers out,” Correctional Service of Canada spokesperson Jeff Campbell confirmed on Thursday.
Campbell said the transfers are ongoing but would not say how many of the 185 inmates involved have been moved or their new locations, citing the federal privacy act.
Campbell added the focus right now is getting the facility back to a normal routine. Repairs are currently underway as is a review by corrections and the RCMP investigation.
“All those are going on at the same, so it’s a very, very place to be.”
According to James Bloomfield, of the Union of Canadian Correctional Officers the facility had been on a modified routine for a few days before Wednesday’s riot due to issues raised by inmates working in the kitchens regarding food portions.
The resulting riot left inmate, Jason Leonard Bird dead. Two inmates suffered stab wounds, while six more were injured when guards fired shotgun pellets to regain control of the unit.
Campbell would not comment on what sparked the violence saying the investigation will answer those questions.
“What we would be looking at, is any available information on the incident itself. Are they’re lessons to be learned? Does something to need to be changed? Establishing a sequence of what went on when. Who was involved.”
Campbell said the lockdown at the prison remains in effect and there’s no timeline when it could be lifted.