The Ministry of Government Relations said it’s monitoring the situation around an R.M. of Sherwood councillor who is refusing to resign and also consulting internally with experts about the matter.
Tim Probe released a statement Wednesday indicating that even though he faces breach of trust and municipal corruption charges, he will not be stepping down.
Instead, he said he’ll continue to refrain from attending council meetings and involving himself in R.M. business, planning to return to his seat “when he is vindicated.” Details of his charges are not yet publicly known. Probe is scheduled to be back in court in June.
In a brief statement Thursday, the province said it understands the council of Sherwood is prepared to potentially ask the court’s assistance in removing Probe from office.
The Wall government had previously called for the councillor to step down, reiterating Thursday the ministry has the legal authority, subject to the statutory conditions and processes in The Municipalities Act, to remove a municipal member of council in appropriate circumstances.
That has happened before, as former Sherwood reeve Kevin Eberle was removed from his role by the province in February 2015 after an investigation found he violated the public’s trust and conflicts of interest were found surrounding the proposed Wascana Village development.