We all know smoking is bad for your health, but the Saskatoon Fire Department is giving people another reason to butt out after having to respond to a pair of blazes Thursday evening.
First, firefighters were called out to an apartment at 1020 Matheson Drive around 6:30 p.m.
Three fire engines, a ladder truck and a rescue truck were dispatched to the scene.
The first engine company arrived within three minutes to find that a small fire on the balcony of one of the units had already been put out by the time they got there.
The crew checked to make sure the fire was fully extinguished and posed no further risk to the building.
The cause of the fire was determined to be improper disposal of smoking materials. Damage was estimated at about $2,000.
Firefighters were called out again a few hours later for another blaze at an apartment just a few blocks away.
This time, crews were sent to an apartment building at 885 Confederation Drive just before 10:30 p.m.
Upon arriving, they saw flames coming from a second-floor balcony. Firefighters used a ladder to get up to the balcony and put out the fire.
Once again, improper disposal of smoking materials was blamed for the blaze, which caused an estimated $1,000 in damage.