There has been another fire at SaskPower meter box in Regina.
It happened Friday morning in the Uplands neighbourhood, where the homeowner – who was home at the time – described a power surge followed by a large pop, sparks and a fire.
Siding and soffits were blackened and charred as a result.
“Thankfully, all things considered, the damage is not too bad. It is just esthetic at this point, just some blackening,” SaskPower’s Johnathan Tremblay said.
Once again it was caused by the dry conditions that has resulted in so much ground shifting in some parts that it pulls the old copper wiring away from the box.
Crews have been working over the past few weeks inspecting homes impacted by this issue.
“We’re at about 3,200 to 3,300 inspections in Uplands, Glencairn and Normanview and a few other parts of the province, Moose Jaw, Kindersley and Shaunavan,” Tremblay explained.
Only certain homes are impacted by these conditions. Built in the 1960s and 1970s, typically they have small meter boxes and underground copper wiring.
As the inspections continue, SaskPower is asking homeowners to check their meter boxes and contact them if they see wires exposed, the meter box tilting away from the home or significant ground movement around the foundation.