By Glenn Hicks, paNOW
SGI said while any death on the roads is too many, the fact there were eight in one weekend is a big number.
Spokesperson Tyler McMurchy said based on stats from last year, this weekend’s death toll across the province was “very significant.”
“In 2016 there were 125 total traffic fatalities, so that averages out to about ten a month,” he said. “Of course, some months are worse than others.”
Eight deaths in two days is a major spike compared to last month.
“In August, I’m aware of eight traffic fatalities for the entire month,” he said. “So, certainly a significant number. But again, even one death is too many.”
On Sunday at roughly 8 p.m., Prince Albert RCMP attended a scene roughly six kilometres north of Prince Albert.
A southbound pick-up truck, driven by a 30-year-old man from Little Red River First Nation, had crossed over into the northbound lane and collided with an SUV driven by a 66-year-old man from Christopher Lake. Both drivers were pronounced dead at the scene and a 62-year-old female passenger of the SUV was taken to hospital with multiple injuries.
There were a total of six other deaths on the highways this weekend near Lloydminster, Lanigan, Humboldt and Saskatoon.
McMurchy said nearly every traffic fatality is avoidable and SGI was focused heavily on four main factors: driving sober, not being distracted behind the wheel, buckling up and adhering to posted speed limits.