Skip to Content

Fire

Safety inspections holding up refinery explosion investigation

It’ll be a few more days before fire investigators are able to get into the Co-op refinery complex after a loud explosion on Tuesday.

An official from the Federated Co-op said engineers would be conducting safety tests on all structures affected by the blast before investigators would be able to get on site.

Former firefighter rescues family and dog from cabin fire in Cochin

As a fire spread from a shed to a cabin in Cochin, a family was able to get out safely thanks to a former volunteer firefighter.

On Sunday December 22 Brandon Lafreniere was travelling through Cochin north of the Battlefords when he saw a cabin on fire with vehicles in the driveway. As the side of the cabin burned he went to see if anyone was still inside.

Family members remain in hospital following Neuanlage house fire

A family of four is coping with the tragic loss of their home after a devastating fire Friday morning in Neuanlage.

Two family members remain in a Saskatoon hospital where they are being treated for burns. We're hearing now from the father of the man who owned the house. He describes the terrifying moments before it burned to the ground.
 

UPDATE: Semi fire stops northbound traffic on Highway 11

A Monday morning vehicle fire continues to halt northbound traffic on Highway 11 from Saskatoon near Tower Road.

A fire truck on scene was spraying water on a semi that was fully engulfed in flames on the northbound side of the highway sometime after 6 a.m. Traffic in the southbound lanes was still flowing normally, but smoke was billowing across all four lanes of highway traffic.

The trailer and its contents continue to smoulder and crews from the Prince Albert Fire Department are managing smaller fires on site.

UPDATED: Closet fire contained at The Lighthouse

Police have one person in custody following an overnight fire at The Lighthouse.

At around 1:30 a.m., fire crews were dispatched to a possible fire on the second floor of The Lighthouse on 227 20th Street East.

Crews entered the building and found smoke and water flowing on the second floor. An investigation concluded there had been a small fire in a closet, but it was extinguished by the sprinkler system. The building was ventilated and some water damage was reported to the floor beneath the fire.

UPDATE: Fire destroys home in Neuanlage

A devastating house fire has left a Neuanlage family homeless before Christmas.

The fire started after 6 a.m. and completely destroyed the home that was located in the hamlet 42 kilometres north of Saskatoon.

By the time Rosthern RCMP and volunteer firefighters from Hague arrived the young family of four had managed to escape on their own, said Cpl. Aaaron Kading

"There were four people in the house at the time. One of the persons was awake and alerted their other family members," he said.

Update: Woman dies in hospital after fire

A 73-year-old woman is dead after a house fire in Saskatoon.

Smoke and flames were pouring out of the back of a home on the 900 block of 8th Street East at about 9:15 pm on Dec. 12.

Three engines and an aerial unit responded to the call and firefighters quickly performed a search of the home.
 
During that search, crews found the woman inside the home.  Firefighters pulled her out and then paramedics took her to Royal University Hospital in serious condition.

Blaze guts Regina home

As temperatures got close to -40 C early Sunday morning in Regina, several people had to escape their home when it caught on fire.

Fire crews were called to 1326 King Street around 4:20 Sunday morning. Someone inside found the fire then called 911 before leaving. Several people were able to get out and no one was injured. As a precaution, the home next door was evacuated as well, .

The fire bus was brought to the scene to keep people in the homes warm and to rehabilitate the fire fighters.

Condo construction in Yorkton catches fire during deep freeze

Frigid temperatures didn't hamper efforts by the Yorkton Fire Department after flames broke out at a condo structure under construction Thursday night.

The call about the fire came in around 10:30 p.m. when the mercury sat around -25 and the wind chill was around -38. A roofing company had been working on the structure of the building roughly five hours before the fire department was called. Deputy fire chief Greg Litvanyi suspects the hot work they were doing smouldered until flames broke out later in the night, leaving crews to deal with both the fire and the elements.

Saskatchewan Beach house burns to the ground

A large house has gone up in flames in the community of Saskatchewan Beach on the east side of Last Mountain Lake.

Callers alerted News Talk Radio to the blaze early Friday afternoon. Village administrator Sharie Hall said the volunteer fire department from nearby Silton and some local residents did their best, but there was no chance to save it.

"Not at all. It was just massive flames, right away."

She says those local residents brought their own water tanks to help the fire crew.

Syndicate content