Skip to Content
  • WEATHER ALERT: Smoke still hanging in air across most of Saskatchewan Read details
  • SPECIAL COVERAGE: Saskatchewan wildfires continue to burn Read more

Fire

Silo fire causes $10,000 in damages

It took three and a half hours for Saskatoon firefighters to douse a silo fire Friday night.

The fire started in a silo at Bioriginal foods located at 102 Melville Street around 7:50 p.m.

When fire crews arrived smoke was coming out of a large organic flax silo.

They had a tough time getting water on the fire and had to cut a hole in the side of the silo to get water in. The packed flax also made it difficult to get the fire out.

The fire was put out at 12:30 a.m.

Smart meter removal ahead of schedule: SaskPower

SaskPower says it's ahead of schedule when it comes to removing smart meters in the province, but admits, the job could be done even faster.
 
"As of the end of last week we're about 40 per cent through removing and replacing the smart meters," said Tom Kindred, vice-president of information technology with SaskPower.
 
The company is replacing about 5,000 smart meters a week, but according to Kindred, the only thing holding them back is the availability of the meters to replace the smart meters.
 

Block heater cord confirmed as cause of Regina fire

Regina Fire & Protective Services confirmed Thursday that the fire on Royal Street Wednesday morning was started by a block heater.
 
The fire consumed two vehicles and damaged two houses on the 300 block of Royal Street in the Regency Park neighbourhood.
 

Block heater cord suspected as spark in Regina fire

A car fire that ended up damaging two cars and two houses in the Regency Park area of Regina could have been sparked by a block heater.
 
Around 4:30  a.m. Wednesday, Regina Fire & Protective Services were called out to 337 Royal St. for a car fire.
 
"When crews arrived, the fire had extended from one vehicle to another vehicle that was parked in the driveway. And those vehicles were parked in between the two houses, so the fire actually then spread to the two houses, so we upgraded the alarm at that time," said Gerard Kay, deputy fire chief.

Saskatoon evacuees expected to return home Monday after weekend fire

A woman in Saskatoon who lives in an apartment building hit by fire Sunday morning is worried about what she'll find when she goes home.

Lois Mansfield lives on the fourth floor of the building on Avenue X South and said it was a scary night.

"I heard the smoke alarm and I think I was the first person to phone it in," she said.

Mansfield said there have been several false alarms at this building, so when she called 911, the operator thought it might be another false alarm. 

Saskatoon apartment fire forces evacuation

Forty people spent most of the night at the Salvation Army after an apartment fire in Saskatoon.

Saskatoon Police said just after 1 a.m. smoke was seen coming out of a third floor apartment on Avenue X South, between 18th and 19th Street West.

The fire was contained but smoke spread quickly through the building, forcing all of the renters from the second and third floors onto their balconies.

From the balconies, firefighters used their aerial ladders to bring the tenants down to safety.

Regina home latest affected by smart meter fires

SaskPower has started removing more than 100,000 smart meters in the province, but it wasn't soon enough for one Regina homeowner whose smart meter caught fire early Friday.
 
"At 1:30 in the morning, I heard loud bangs on my wall. I thought it was someone hitting it with a bat. I looked outside my bedroom window and I saw flames," said Joan Riemer, who was inside her east Regina home alone when the fire started. 
 
No one was hurt but the fire damaged the outside of the home and the meter melted onto a barbecue cover, which also caught fire. 

Suspected arsonist in Regina

Regina appears to have at least one arsonist on its hands.

The fire department confirms that several recent suspicious fires in the North Central area were deliberately set.

Saskatoon chimney fire does $20,000 in damage

Fast response from the Saskatoon Fire Department stopped a house fire from spreading both inside a home and to neighbours.

Fire crews were called to a fire at 1326 Conn Avenue in Saskatoon's Brevoort Park neighbourhood around 12:48 p.m. Wednesday.

Regina garage fire considered suspicious

A fire that destroyed a garage in Regina burned so hot, it damaged other garages in the area.

An investigation is underway into the intense garage fire Wednesday morning being called suspicious.

The fire errupted in the alley behind 622 Broadway Ave. near Winnipeg Street around 3 a.m.

"When crews arrived we had a fully engulfed garage and fire was licking out toward both garages on opposite sides," said Gerard Kay, deputy fire chief with Regina Fire & Protective Services.

Kay arrived on scene after the fire was put out.

Syndicate content