Skip to Content
  • WEATHER ALERT: Severe thunderstorm warnings and watches central & S Sask See map

Fire

TransGas burning off excess gas

TransGas has plans for some upgrades to a storage cavern facility just south of Regina, but needs to burn off some excess natural gas in order to do so.

Starting at 9 a.m. Saturday, a large flame could be seen south of the city as workers monitored the 40-foot flare stack.

Suspicious fires keep crews busy


A couple of suspicious fires brought crews out early Sunday morning.

Saskatoon Fire and Protective Services received a call about a vehicle fire in Caswell Hill on 30th Street West and Ave I North.

It was brought under control in less than five minutes.

Crews then responded to another blaze in the King George neighborhood.

A garage on Avenue K South near 10th Street was on fire, but crews got it under control quickly. Damage was estimated at less than $5,000.

Fire at McTavish Street home in Regina deliberately set

The Regina fire department says the fire from early this morning was set on purpose.

It happened around 6 a.m. at 1001 McTavish Street. When fire crews got there, flames were coming out of the back bedroom.

It only took an hour or so for firefighters to put out the blaze. Deputy Fire Chief Gerard Kay says that's when they found something suspicious.

"The investigator then took over the scene, and determined that there are multiple set points," he said.

"So this fire is deliberately set."

The investigation has now been handed to the Regina Police Service.

Barbeque causes small fire on Regina home

Late Wednesday evening, Regina Fire Services were called to a small fire in Regina’s northwest corner.

Jonathan Fesyk had just put supper on the grill, and when he came back to check on it, the vinyl siding on his house had caught fire.

“We didn’t know about how flammable vinyl siding is and our barbeque was too close to the vinyl siding. It got hot and started on fire,” he said after fire crews had put out the blaze.

Thinking quickly, Fesyk turned off the gas line and called the fire department. Crews arrived shortly and extinguished the fire.

Roof repair with blow torch causes duplex fire in southeast Regina

What started as a repair job ended up causing a lot of damage to a south-east Regina home after a fire broke out in a duplex Wednesday.

George Paul has lived on Renfrew Pointe for about seven years now.  This week, he noticed his eaves trough had been leaking in the rain.

"So I went up with the blow torch. I was going to dry it out and paint it with (a sealant)," said Paul.
 
He went to have some lunch afterwards, and when he was taking a nap, his wife woke him up.

"(She said) ‘The house is on fire!’" said Paul.

Students find body of man in South Saskatchewan River

Students on a class canoeing trip have found the body of a man in the South Saskatchewan River.

The kids found the body Tuesday morning in the river north of the McDonald Bridge, commonly known as the train bridge.

Police are working with the Office of the Chief Coroner of Saskatchewan to identify the human remains and determine a cause of death.

Two men injured in house explosion

Two men narrowly escaped an explosive fire that left a house without front windows and full of flames.

Dispatchers received several calls just before 11 p.m. on Sunday. Callers reported hearing an explosion in the neighbourhood of 1123 Avenue K South. 

One neighbour told the dispatcher that his whole house shook.

When firefighters got to the house they found it engulfed in flames. The front windows had been blown out and the front wall of the house was pushed out several inches.

Saskatoon house catches fire twice in one week

A house in Saskatoon caught fire Thursday morning for the second time this week.

The house, located at 417 Avenue Q South, had flames and heavy smoke by the time fire crews arrived.

Saskatoon Fire and Protective Services got the call around 4:18 a.m. Thursday morning and were on scene in two minutes.

It took crews 10 minutes to get the fire under control using an aggressive interior attack.

Flying Goose Inn in LaFleche burns to the ground

It’s been 17 years since Larry and Evelyn L’Heureux bought the Flying Goose Inn in LaFleche, and on Tuesday evening it burned down in just a few hours.

At around 9 p.m. on Tuesday, someone in the building noticed the smell of smoke wafting in the restaurant. After inspecting the kitchen, smoke was discovered on the smoker’s deck outside. The waitress on staff called 911, but it didn’t take long for the building to go up in flames.

Blaze under investigation in Saskatoon

 

Saskatoon Fire and Protective Services' investigation of an early morning fire indicates that the fire may have been intentionally lit.

Just before 1 a.m. Monday, dispatchers received a call reporting heavy smoke coming out of a home on Avenue Q South.

When crews arrived, they found the fire at the back of the building and got it out quickly. Luckily they discovered the building itself was only full of smoke.

Nobody was found inside.

The fire is still under investigation and damage is estimated at $40,000.

ckomnews@rawlco.com

Syndicate content