A lawsuit has been filed against four people after a drug-related house explosion in Regina two years ago.
The blast happened at a residential duplex at 152 Cooper Cr. in February 2015.
Glass, wood, insulation, furniture and other debris were blown out of the home, landing on nearby yards and the street. Regina police quickly confirmed something illegal was going on at the time. Four people were eventually charged with producing cannabis resin, also known as cannabis oil.
The statement of claim was filed Feb. 22 by SGI and Patricia Wilson, whom the claim lists as the registered owner of the other half of the duplex at 148 Cooper Cr.
The claim alleges the blast happened in the basement of 152 Cooper Cr., a property owned by Bernice Lynn Bloor, and that the explosion caused extensive fire, smoke, heat and water damage to Wilson’s property, along with damage to personal items within.
Besides Bloor, the other defendants listed are Adel Essid, Bradley Allan Keck and Kyle Nicholas Siller, the same four individuals charged in the explosion. While the charges were stayed against Bloor, Essid and Siller, Keck pleaded guilty to drug production and received a conditional sentence.
The claim also alleges the damage “was caused entirely by the reckless and negligent actions of the defendants.”
Allegations further describe how SGI and Bloor were under contract for insurance coverage. However, the statement of claim highlights a specific section of the contract whereby SGI would not cover “loss or damage caused directly or indirectly by any illegal or unauthorized activity related to and including the growing, harvesting, manufacturing, processing, storing, sale or distribution of any drug or narcotic.”
SGI said Bloor failed to meet her obligations under the insurance contract and therefore was not entitled to payment. The insurer also said it anticipates making further payments under that contract.
SGI is also looking to recoup costs that Wilson claimed to the damage to her home and its contents, along with expenses incurred.
SGI and Wilson are asking for $107,158.99 plus other potential amounts yet to be determined.
A statement of claim contains allegations not proven in court. As of Thursday morning, SGI indicated that none of the defendants had been served and therefore no statement of defence has been filed.