The smoke alarm was not working properly when a Regina home went up in flames claiming the life of one person.
The fire happened around 11 p.m. on Feb. 25 on the 1700 block of Connaught Street.
Regina Fire & Protective Services (RFPS) determined the blaze was unintentional, and was caused by a malfunction in the electrical distribution system within the basement of the home.
RFPS also concluded the smoke alarm within the home was not maintained and did not function to provide an early warning.
RFPS urges the public to maintain and test their smoke alarms regularly.
Smoke alarms are the most effective, low cost, early warning devices available to alert you to the presence of a fire.