After ending the preseason with another loss, the Roughriders cut 20 players from the roster.
The biggest name on the list is the former second string quarterback Brett Smith. He was forced into a starter’s role last season after Darian Durant was injured in the first regular season game and backup Kevin Glenn was hurt a few weeks later.
Quarterback Phillip Sims was also placed on the six-game injured list, leaving the Riders with just two in that position with B.J. Coleman the only backup to Durant.
Former Winnipeg Blue Bomber and veteran international receiver Clarence Denmark was also among those let go. University of Saskatchewan alum Tim Agbaje and University of Regina grad Aaron Picton also found out they won’t be a part of the Riders in 2016.
The incredible roster makeover of the Riders gives the team only 16 players returning from last year’s 3-15 team.
The Green and White made another move on Sunday, picking up international defensive back Brandon McDonald from the Calgary Stampeders in exchange for a negotiation list player.
- National offensive lineman Kadeem Adams
- National defensive back Troy Adams
- National defensive lineman Tim Agbaje
- International offensive lineman Tre’Von Armstead
- International wide receiver Damarr Aultman
- International running back Terrance Cobb
- International defensive back Victor Dean Jr.
- International wide receiver Clarence Denmark
- International defensive back Marquis Drayton
- International running back Michael Dyer
- International wide receiver Qudarius Ford
- National linebacker Dillon Grondin
- International defensive back Tyree Hollins
- National wide receiver Kyle Kawamoto
- National offensive lineman Aaron Picton
- National wide receiver Randy Roseway
- International linebacker Marte Sears
- International quarterback Brett Smith
- International defensive back Xavier Walker
- International defensive lineman Markus White
Players moved to the six-game injured list:
- National defensive lineman Dylan Ainsworth
- International quarter back Phillip Sims
- International offensive lineman Jarriel King
- International defensive lineman Eric Norwood
- National offensive lineman Matt Vonk
Players added to the practice roster:
- National defensive back Joel Brtka
- International defensive lineman Tony Criswell
- International defensive back Johnnie Dixon
- National offensive lineman Kennedy Estelle
- International offensive lineman Marcus Hall
- National offensive lineman Hasan Hazime
- National offensive lineman Alex McKay
- National linebacker Alex Ogbongbemiga
- National wide receiver Josh Stanford