A carelessly tossed cigarette is being blamed for a fire that sent crews to a downtown office building Thursday morning.
The Saskatoon Fire Department was called to the blaze on Spadina Crescent East and 20th Street East around 6:30 a.m.
The fire was first noticed outside the Assante office building, then moved inside the two-storey space.
Crews spent several hours fighting what was described as a “challenging” fire – mainly focusing on cutting into the building’s walls to ensure all the flames were doused.
Fire officials said office contents were covered to protect them from damage. No one was inside when the fire broke out.
Damage is pegged at $200,000.
Traffic restrictions were set up along Spadina Crescent East between 20th and 21st streets. Those were lifted as of noon Thursday.
Saskatoon’s Court of Queen’s Bench, located beside the building, was not affected.
— Brent Bosker (@brentbosker) February 2, 2017