By Tyler Marr
The Prince Albert Daily Herald will return to its roots and buck the trend of closures, undergoing what Star News Publishing has called an “employee buyout.”
The news was made public late Friday night in a media release. While few details on the deal were provided, it is “expected to close in the very near term” and will be led by publisher Donna Pfeil.
Pfeil was described in the release as “a lifelong community member” whose first job was delivering the Herald, a legacy passed down to her children.
“As the third-largest city in Saskatchewan, Prince Albert deserves and needs a daily newspaper operated for and by locals, and our team is excited to be part of the long-term future of the paper,” Pfeil said in the release.
The news of the purchase comes less than a week after Star News stated the paper would fold if a buyer was not found, as the publisher has plans to exit the Saskatchewan market, according to statements from Roger Holmes to the CBC.
The Daily Herald’s sister paper, the Moose Jaw Times-Herald, recently shuttered earlier this month after 111 years. The Daily Herald has served the Gateway to the North since 1894.
“I feel strongly that this decision is a good one for the staff, the city, and the industry,” Holmes said in the release. “These employees are passionate about Prince Albert, and I have every confidence they have the tools they need to succeed.”
Editor Peter Lozinski, who works alongside two reporters and is in the midst of headhunting a third, said the move was “an exciting day for the city and for the newspaper.”
“We are passionate about continuing the legacy of the Daily Herald as a truly independent, locally owned and operated newspaper. We will continue to bring value to the doorsteps of our readers on a daily basis.”