A family enjoying their long May weekend were treated for carbon monoxide poisoning Saturday.
Parkland Ambulance Paramedics (PAP) attended the Candle Lake area just after 9:30 a.m. The family of five — including a six-month-old, three-year-old, six-year-old and two adults in their 30s — were treated at the scene, then transported to the Victoria Hospital in Prince Albert.
In a news release, PAP said the family failed to remove their winter covers from the furnace, which is necessary for proper ventilation.
Signs of carbon monoxide poisoning include vomiting, headache and becoming lethargic. It could be masked as general flu-like symptoms; however, a person would get all the symptoms at once.
As a reminder, PAP said people should always check their chimneys to make sure the cover is removed and no animal nests are present as that could cause a barrier for proper ventilation.
Having a smoke detector along with a carbon monoxide detector is highly recommended in any type of sleeping arrangement with a furnace, the paramedics added.