Regina Fire and Protective Services would like to see a change in the number of preventable fires caused by careless smoking.
So far this year, firefighters have dealt with nine structural fires caused by discarded cigarettes or smokers’ material.
The fire department released a statement on Thursday warning, “plastic milk jugs and peat moss soil are not appropriate places to butt out.”
Between 2006 and 2016 Regina fire crews responded to 93 fires caused by careless smoking. Three people were killed as a result.
The statement goes on to advise smokers, “it is important to dispose of smoking materials safely. Material should be discarded in a metal container that is partially filled with sand or gravel. Never discard smokers’ material in flower pots, planters or plastic containers. Peat moss can smoulder for hours or days and will ignite combustible pots and planters.
People can visit the Regina Fire website to find more information about properly disposing of smoker’s materials, as well as other fire prevention tips and tools. Play by the rules and be fire safe this summer.