What Neesha Wolfe saw in the washroom of a Regina McDonald’s was enough to make anybody lose their appetite.
Wolfe had ordered a meal from the restaurant on Dewdney Avenue and Albert Street and then headed to the washroom.
She found needle debris on the floor — numerous syringes dumped next to the toilet. There was also one on the counter, appearing to contain blood.
“I didn’t even get my order. I just walked away from it because I felt really disgusted,” Wolfe told Global News.
She captured the scene on video and posted it to Facebook.
By mid-afternoon on Monday, the 31-second clip had been shared more than 9,000 times.
In a written statement, McDonald’s Canada said somebody had used a “strong object to force open the needle disposal bin — which is locked and encased in stainless steel.”
The company said the debris was “quickly cleaned up.”
“The restaurant has been in contact with the police, and the Saskatchewan Health Department visited the restaurant today and reported that they are satisfied with how the incident was handled and will not be investigating further,” the statement read.
McDonald’s said the boxes are managed by a company called Biomed, and the restaurant will be working with them to prevent an incident like this from happening in the future.
According to Ian Harrison, acting manager of environmental public health, needle disposal boxes will be emptied more frequently in the future — every two weeks, instead of monthly.
The boxes will also be made more resistant to tampering, he said.